On Thursday afternoons, I see the Mrs. Aitken's (grade 3-4) and Mrs. Mitchell's (grade 4) combined from 1:25-2:05pm. There are about 36 students in this class on a good day. That is a lot of bodies. Way too many to make equal teams on the spot with. Thus why we have the "Cougars" and "Purple Knights."
One of the first classes of the year I tell students to get with a partner and stand back to back. When I say "GO!" students turn around and play a game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." Who ever wins stays standing and who ever losses sits. So there is half the class standing and half sitting. I tell students if they are standing, they are on the "Cougars" and if they are sitting, they are on the "Purple Knights."
When you ask 2nd-4th graders to get with a partner, it is most likely a friend and also one of equal skill level. Thus I have found this to be a great way to divide a class equally. Teams are the same for the whole year! Whenever we do a "team" game. I tell the "Cougars" to sit on one side and the "Purple Knights" to sit on the other. Below are pictures of the two teams sitting on their respective lines while directions are given.
![]() |
| The "Purple Knights" |
![]() |
| The "Cougars" |
![]() |
| The "Purple Knights" listening to directions! |



No comments:
Post a Comment